16 April 2007

can i take a hint??

last night i was feeling tired, overwhelmed, and like no matter what i do as a parent it is never enough... nothing new, really. as i sat down (i.e. collapsed) after the kids were in bed, the passage from Matthew 11:28-30 came to mind -- the one about going to God for rest, about His yoke being easy and His burden light. this morning i read it to the kids at breakfast. later in the morning i was listening to a radio broadcast in which the woman speaking was basically reading my mind, and she quoted the same passage, but from The Message. it is such a beautiful paraphrase of these particular words of Jesus that i wanted to post it here. looking it up in our copy of The Message, i discovered that i had a bookmark at that very page. perhaps i'm supposed to be catching on to something here....

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me -- watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." -Jesus

1 comment:

val said...

ps--shortly after writing this post, i sat down to read from Hallelujah Handel with the kids, and guess which verse was quoted in it?? hmmm....