14 October 2007

books can be dangerous

and i'm not talking about Harry Potter. i'm talking about George Muller.

my mom tells me that my favorite thing to say and do as a little girl was "weed book!" throughout my school years, however, i was not much of a reader, other than what teachers required of me. but in these past years since beginning to read to my own children, and especially since pursuing the homeschooling route, books have been steadily growing more and more appealing to me. i think our recent television fast solidified this even more in me.

earlier this year i read a book to the kids called "Missionary Stories with the Millers" that I picked up at a homeschool conference. it was a collection of little snippets from lives of various missionaries, some more well-known than others. miriam could not get enough of it! this led me to look into other similar types of stories to read to them and i settled first on George Muller, whom i have always heard of but had never read about for myself. i am finding his story not only fascinating, but also challenging. a man who God turned from well-to-do, self-centered thief into self-sacrificing servant to the poor and orphaned, his life was marked by simplicity and believing God for every step of provision and direction. his testimonies to God's faithfulness prompt me to question my own lifestyle and how well (or not) it matches what we say we believe about God and what we are trying to teach our children about following Christ.

1 comment:

Terri said...

I'd love to hear what books you discover in your search, as I have had the same theme tucked in my head for a while to read with my kids, but have not done any research yet. It's been fascinating for me to read some stories of various martyrs for Chirst in my own personal reading. It definitely brings up lifestyle questions. I always go back to the question of where is my focus? I'm going to check out the Missionary Stories book for sure. Thanks for sharing!