12 July 2008

am i in denial??

so, i went clothes shopping for myself, by myself today -- a wonderful and rare treat. i was feeling pretty good after finding success at Forever 21 and the Gap when i walked into Aeropostale. that's when my shopping experience took a turn for the worse.

"can i help you find something?" asked the saleswoman.

"yeah, do you have any skirts, like cargo style?"

and then, the first blow.

"is this for you or your daughter?"

ouch. do i really look old enough to have a daughter who would shop at Aeropostale?

she said i might try Penneys.

now, i still like to shop in the juniors section. granted, sometimes i pick up what i think is a cute skirt only to discover it is actually a shirt, and i can't really buy jeans there if i want to be able to bend over with any sense of decency, but for the most part i like the style of clothes better. perhaps i am living in denial of my actual age. the encounter i was about to have with a second saleswoman seemed to suggest this.

"hi," i said, "where would i find a khaki or cargo style skirt, not too short...?" (by this i meant one that would actually cover most of my thighs.)

"for you?" i should have known right then that this was not going to be good. "follow me."

yes, for me! ok, i may not have showered this morning, but come on, people!

she took off briskly toward the opposite end of the store and i reluctantly followed. the reality of what was happening was beginning to sink in, and soon i was standing in the middle of the "womens" section. please take no offense if this is where you shop, the clothes are certainly very nice, it's just not really my thing. i faked a smile with a "thanks" as she left and just stood in one spot for a minute, kind of in shock. i looked around half-heartedly, then headed to the fitting room with the pairs of juniors shorts i was holding to try them on, bought one pair, and left.

these scenarios bring to mind a time earlier this year when matt asked me to pick up some adult beverages at Trader Joe's while we were visiting his family. good thing i had amanda with me for moral support, because when i went to check out, realizing i did not have my ID on me, i made some comment about my age and the guy was like, "um... yeah, i can tell." my internal response went something like, "watch it, buddy, you're not looking too hot yourself."

2 comments:

the Domina said...

Hi Val, welcome to the 30's. A good friend of mine (and yours) told me once that a woman is most beautiful in her 30's because she is self confident in her own style. That, when childbearing effects are factored in, leaves most of us out of the Juniors dept. That's ok. People stopped asking for my ID when I was 23! :) The women's section is different than the misses. Juniors=little/no hips & bust, Misses=hips & bust, Women's=larger sizes.

Eddiebauer.com had some cute cargo skirts. Check the outlet in Holland for better prices. Or you could always transform an old pair of cargo pants into a skirt. That could be a lot of fun... Hmmm, I think I need to get sewing!

Anonymous said...

Hello babe, when you are looking for something call Manda don't ask the sales people. I tried on a really cute cargo skirt that was knee length at tj maxx.
The problem is that you have fashion sense, I like to think that's partly my responsibility :) and you are asking for assistance from people who probobly don't have any style. Trust what you like and wear what you wear with confidence!!!

I think your style ROCKS!!