26 September 2006

i love used book sales

i scored this book for 50 cents at a used book sale the other day. matt was so excited--he still remembers his second grade teacher reading these witty poems to his class. our kids asked me every day last week, i think, to read to them from this book. here is my favorite so far:

COLORS

My skin is kind of sort of brownish
Pinkish yellowish white.
My eyes are greyish blueish green,
But I'm told they look orange in the night.
My hair is reddish blondish brown,
But it's silver when it's wet.
And all the colors I am inside
Have not been invented yet.

-Shel Silverstein

2 comments:

Terri said...

Funny! I just posted a poem today that Myah liked and then checked your blog and you had done the same thing! :) We also have that book and love it. I'm trying to start incorporating more poetry into our reading time. Can't wait to talk to you more about my readings about Charlotte Mason. What I just finished reading, I was very impressed with and have already incorporated some of her ideas into our school day. It's working well.

val said...

that's great, terri--what charlotte mason stuff have you been reading? i look forward to hearing more about it on your blog.

by the way, i never got back to you about Wild at Heart. it was so good, in more ways than just understanding men and boys! i found that much of it was speaking to me personally regarding stuff i have been struggling with. i'll probably have to go back and reread it again at some point.