27 September 2006

raising kids

i recently signed up to receive e-newletters from the Home School Marketplace, and received one this week entitled Kindergarten...or not? written by Ellyn Davis. i have heard her husband, Chris, speak before and have also read their book, I Saw the Angel in the Marble. they have really challenged and caused me to rethink my whole paradigm of "school" -- whether found in the classroom or at home. i found this article quite relevant as Miriam is at that age. one of these days i will try to write more about how we are approaching home education this year.

along similar lines, i also wanted to direct your attention to a broadcast i heard on Family Life Today, featuring the author of a book entitled Raising Kids for True Greatness. the bit that i heard in the car was so good, but i still need to go back and listen to the whole collection online. if it's of interest to you and you have the computer capabilities, you can listen too!

2 comments:

Terri said...

I enjoyed that article. Thanks for sharing. :)

Simone said...

Val -
this is the first time I've looked at your blog and I think we would have a great conversation about a variety of things if we could chat. I think about you and often wonder how you are doing, how the kids are, where you are in life.
I've been heavily researching schools, kindergartens, Christian schools, monisory programs and home schooling. I am leaning towards home schooling for a variety of reasons - most of which have to do with the fact I don't want my 5 year old (starting kindergarten next fall) in school 7 hours a day where sitting and listening quietly is the norm. We'll see.
Great topic. Happy researching.